Wednesday, October 6, 2010

(healthy/unhealthy) cynicism

i hated that conference talk where the guy said he knew that the lord would provide a way for them to get out of debt, and the next morning they just happened to sell their SF property to pay their mortgage.


can we have some general authorities who understand socioeconomic diversity?  I wanted to say "good for you," at the same time that i said, "are you kidding me?" 


(.... don't even get me started on Costa's talk about everything the prophet saying being the literal word of God in civic matters. Why isn't there more discussion of cultural interpretations of Mormonism in sunday school? Is everyone nodding along to this at face value?)

4 comments:

Nate H. said...

I confess that I want to ignore everyone's talk except Uchtdorf's.

canne said...

i confess that a handful of talks really bothered me and i keep asking myself, is it me?

canne said...

it cant just be me. morality is nuanced.

Unknown said...

courtney, it is not just you. somehow the specific example you mentioned didn't bother me, but others did. why the example you used didn't bother me: I liked his sentence about how some may say it is just coincidence, and even that he didn't try to say that it wasn't, but just said, "but this happened, and our family will listen..." blah, blah, blah. But it would definitely have been improved had he been more compassionate on the monetary issue, or even talked about how there are times that we do try to exercise faith and those blessings or promises aren't fulfilled for us--that that is part of what faith is. I know miracle stories of tithing used to always bother my mom, when we paid our tithing too, and could still be struggling.